Friday, April 13, 2012

What Kind of Feminist Are YOU?

As a Women's Studies major, one thing I usually get from people who are confused about what that means, is the phrase, "I'm not a feminist, but..." This phrase is usually ended with things such as. "I believe women are equal to men," "I think women should have equal rights," or "I'm not sexist," etc.

Well..let's check out the merriam-webster.com definition: "the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes."

Is it just me, or does that sound exactly like what the people who were saying, "I'm not a feminist but..." seemed to be saying that they believe? Feminism gets a bad reputation, because it is so largely misunderstood. There are so many kinds of feminism, but at its core the majority of feminist beliefs are based in a theory of equality. And since this is the case, most people who say that they aren't feminists (if they believe in equality between/among genders) actually are.

There are, however various forms of feminism. (Liberal, radical, global, Marxist, Women of Color, etc.) So for the feminists who read this blog, how do YOU identify?

To learn more about the various types of feminism, click here!

1 comment:

  1. I am so weary of hearing women say... "I'm not a feminist, but..." If you're a woman you are a Feminist! Good grief! But, we can't say anything about it with anger because we strengthen the hype of "femi-nazis."

    ReplyDelete