Sunday, April 15, 2012

Pretty is a burden?

I have to admit, this article still has me on the fence about where I stand.  One part of me wants to say "F*ck you.  Stop complaining about the burden of naturally fitting the beauty stereotype and getting free sh*t all the time."  However, I realize some of that might be slightly bitter or maybe even...jealousy, if I am totally honest with myself.  My sister is exactly like the woman in this article.  She is pretty, bubbly, very fashionable, and have been obsessed with looking good since she started demanding only Big Bird diapers at the age of 2.  She gets a lot of complimentary stuff and upgrades, but people have also judged her severely before they met her.  Through high school a lot of people called her a bitch, simply because she was pretty.  When her male friends get girlfriends, they often are never allowed to see or speak with my sister again.  She is seen as a threat or something. 

There is no simple answer to this.  It is what it is.  Some people are considered "prettier" than others.  I can only imagine how much worse this is for teenage girls.  The pressure to be beautiful is extreme.  When girls naturally (or not so naturally) fit the beauty ideal, I don't think they deserve to be bullied, ostracized, or outcast by other girls.  I also find it disgusting that "beautiful" women get more free stuff for being beautiful. 

This, again, boils down to a problem in society.  Beauty, not brains, is what is ultimately rewarded for women.  This has got to change.


 


http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2OTuR9/www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2124246/Samantha-Brick-downsides-looking-pretty-Why-women-hate-beautiful.html/

No comments:

Post a Comment