Monday, April 9, 2012

Barbie And Her Toy Box Pals Go Bald For A Cause

So I think this is really neat that the toy manufacturers are releasing these bald dolls. I understand that it can be quite powerful to see an image that looks like oneself in media. For me, being able to play video games and see queer characters makes me feel more comfortable, not because of any issues of identity I have not resolved, but because positive images occur when culture has positive ideas about a specific group.

More specifically about these dolls, I love how a social media campaign on FaceBook led these companies to go from producing one doll for a cancer-stricken girl to releasing a whole line of Barbies and Bratz that are bald. Although consumerism is not a path to agency (in my opinion), I think that these dolls work as a sign of solidarity for young girls (and boys) that are affected by such a severe illness. The power of social media in situations like this makes me feel better about living in a globalized world filled with huge conglomerates.

No comments:

Post a Comment