Sunday, April 15, 2012

Media vs. Personal Connection

My generation, I've been told, can't handle f2f interaction. We can't develop a long form argument, can't write a formal letter or draft a resume, and we don't work very hard.

This is the impression I get, anyway, from people who talk about us. But the main thing I see in the way people consider my generation is the idea that we're all hooked up to tvs and video games 24/7. We can only shop online, we have hundreds of "friends" but never go out. Let me put this straight: that's not true.

I still have "real" friends, using the term in the sense that we see each other at least once a week. I am a master at the face to face conversation because I work at a customer service oriented job and I'd be fired if I couldn't talk to people.

This is what some people in my generation feel about tv:
http://www.viruscomix.com/page407.html

And some people use new media to develop personal brands:
http://video.televisionwithoutpity.com/player/?id=280418&dst=rss%7Ctelevision%20without%20pity%7C

so maybe we aren't a super generation. But, honestly, my grandparents didn't get kicked out of school for protesting the war. They probably didn't know what they were going to do with their lives either. So let's not pretend like we need to have it together at 21. Nobody really does.

No comments:

Post a Comment