Thursday, April 12, 2012

Don't Trust The B...

In another course I am taking for my Women's Studies minor we've been talking recently about how popular the word 'bitch' has become.
A lot of college age girls, and younger too, I'm sure, use the word to greet their friends, and use it as a sort-of compliment.
Ex: "You're hair is so beautiful, you're such a bitch!"
While it may not be harmful in that context, it could turn into something harmful. In my opinion using the term so loosely gives other people to use the word for other meanings, and that's not good.
ABC has a new show called "Don't Trust The Bitch in Apartment 23" that aired last night. I was curious about the ratings and if viewers found the somewhat dark content humorous and I found a few articles that I thought some others in the class might be interested in.
Does anyone think that having a show like this on TV might encourage younger girls to actually act this way?

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/04/12/dont-trust-the-b-in-apt-23-chloe/

http://www.the-leader.com/entertainment/x876163527/ABC-hints-at-B-word-in-2-new-shows-about-women

1 comment:

  1. "Slut" and "whore" are being used in that same quasi complimentary way. I understand the message being using to address the rape myths in Slut Walk. Is it taking back the power of the word, as suggested in Eve Ensler's monologue regarding "cunt"?

    ReplyDelete