Sunday, April 15, 2012

A flawed message to teenage girls

I keep seeing this article on my facebook feed.  I agree with 9 out of the 10 points she makes, but the first point she makes is flawed.  I understand what she is trying to say, but I think Kate is feeding the slut vs good girl dichotomy that divides women and perpetuates victim blaming.  I have tried in vain, to explain this to friends who post this list.  I have gotten blasted for "wanting" girls to be sluts and not understanding how vulnerable young girls are.  Yes, the majority of the article is about empowering young women.  Yes, there are too many teenage girls that wear low cut tops and mini-skirts specifically to attract boys.  The real problem is not in the clothes, its in the pressure for girls to impress guys.  Girls need to be empowered and have confidence in themselves, without society or boys telling them they are worthy because they fit the constructed idea of beauty.  The problem is societal, not a teenage girl problem.  Telling girls not to wear low cut tops IS victim blaming and its wrong, even with the best of intentions. 

http://kateelizabethconner.com/ten-things-i-want-to-tell-teenage-girls/

No comments:

Post a Comment