Sunday, April 15, 2012

We CAN Do It... No Matter Who WE Are, No Matter Where WE Are!!

     I have been vastly and oddly intimidated by blogging (and social networking for that matter).  It is new to me, but throughout this semester, I had to dig deep to find the root of my fear. It is rooted in trust issues that I have been tirelessly working on in my personal / spiritual life and when it cropped up in my classes, particularly in this class, I was embarrassed to admit the fear, often paralyzed by the fear to the extent of inaction, and frustrated all the more.
     HOWEVER, although I have not embraced these new tools as quickly as I expected to, reading all the texts of this semester and getting involved with activism online has grown my trust in a 'seed to sapling' kind of way. I am so very encouraged by other women's struggles and successes in this same area of fear and trust.  Perhaps even more inspiring is to see and read over and over and over again about all these women and girls online who have enacted major change, fought or created policy and law, and mobilized mass amounts of people in the name of justice, freedom, autonomy, and rights for women.  In such a politically charged time as we are in, it is a huge comfort for me to know that actions are taken- and taken swiftly via the internet, social networks, blogs, and the like.  This was a great piece from Ms. Magazines blog that really drove home the political influence of digital media on women and girls and how it is truly empowering if we use it rightly.  I always thought I was not fearful at all about putting myself "out there", but discovering the fears, uprooting them, and following the lead of women enacting a "shift of consciousness" by using media has encouraged me to continue to "grow" and strengthen MY online voice and connect to others who wish to do the same :)





No comments:

Post a Comment