Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Oh Em Gee. The Mary Sue!


You probably heard my fangirl *squee* when I discovered the site, The Mary Sue by way of my last blog post regarding the article "Who In The World Is Carmen Sandiego? CEO, Intellectual, & America’s Most Positive Latina Role Model". I have not spent a ton of time vetting it, but from what I have seen I am in love. The About Us page begins
The Mary Sue hopes to be a place for two things: highlighting women in the geek world, and providing a prominent place for the voices of geek women. Because all we really want is to just be able to geek out with all geeks, of any gender, without feeling like our femininity is front and center for scrutinization.
*swoon* The tag line declares the site is "A Guide to Girl Geek Culture" and the rotating masthead predominately features an assortment of "iconic and well loved female character (s)" . The image above is Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica, one of my favorites. The name of the site is from the trope of the generic "Mary Sue". The Mary Sue turned 1 year old yesterday so this Girl Geek has a bit of catching up to do!

1 comment:

  1. Tabatha,

    This website is awesome! Thank you for sharing it :) I have spent entirely too much time off on tangents tonight...lol...but this was one of the best ones!!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete