Monday, March 28, 2011

Internet Killed the Video Star: Rebecca Black

So, some guy passed me today singing "Friday", which I will post in case you haven't seen it. (Then you should watch Conan O'Brien's parody). I saw an article about how much money Rebecca Black is getting from the videos and another one about Lady Gaga defending her right to sing about friday and make a video and basically do whatever the heck Rebecca wants, because doing whatever she wants is Lady Gaga's favorite hobby.



There are articles like this that hold the more popular opinion that she and her cohorts on the same record label, which my roommate likes to call something like "White rich-girl records", are cheesy and pathetic. While, I totally see the appeal of writing a song and making a music video before you can drive, I'm kind of on Team Cheesy.

At the same time, thinking about Rebecca Black in terms of the things we're learning in this class, I'm kind of siding with Lady Gaga. While, I don't know if I would ever call her a genius... why should Justin Beiber be able to take a shot at it and not Rebecca? I would be more impressed if she actually produced and posted everything instead of a label probably run by adult men who could care less as long as the money's rolling in. But she is reaching a certain level of fame. And no matter how "ironically" people say they are doing something, they're still doing it. Win for Rebecca.

2 comments:

  1. i'm surprised no one has commented on this yet (but i guess you just posted it a couple days ago). i just wrote on someone's Facebook page who criticized her that i was surprised by the backlash considering she sounds like every other "cheesy" pop song on the radio. exactly--why can justin bieber become this outrageous sensation and she is crushed to bits by her commenters? she sounds like all the britneys of the radio to me...but what do i know about pop music, anyway? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah this guy was on conan last night defending her with the same kind of idea. I'll find it and post it a little later.

    ReplyDelete