Thursday, March 17, 2011

The bright side of blogs

Although I was aware of fan faction prior to our readings, I learned a lot more about the way it works and how it affects young girls. When I was younger, I kept a Livejournal and do remember coming across users who would devote their journals to posting fan fiction. I remember feeling like it was almost romance novel-esque however I feel like our readings really helped me understand the good it could do. As noted on page 124, for a lot of girls, their English and writing skills improved as result of fan fiction. Furthermore, I’m sure it worked to get people not previously interested in reading and writing more involved.

I think that fan fiction can do great thing in terms of helping girls create and express their identity. The quote, “the fictional characters are also a means for the girls to fashion new and emerging identifies for themselves…a rehearsal of who they want to become,” really helps explain the way a girls identity can be shaped through writing. I really do thing it allows girls a way to express themselves in a way they’re too scared to do in real life, and furthermore, it allows them to do so without the fear of judgment. Part of the reason why its so alluring to girls is the fact that they can write pretty much anything they want without the fear of being made fun of or mocked that they would have to face in real life.

I definitely understand the notion that fan fiction is copyright infringement, I think overall the benefits of fan fiction for girls outweigh the negative. Sure, fan fiction is not as creative and what some people would call “lazy” in comparison to writing original stories and characters, but I think the point is is that it is getting young girls engaged and interested in writing. Girls who may have never written for fun in their entire lives are now inspired by characters they love to in turn write their own stories. This not only does the obvious of helping their English skills, but it also allows these girls to be a part of a community of like minded individuals. Another interesting thing I found from the readings was an excerpt on page 129 where the author says that fan fiction allows for girls to “try on” different genders and sexualities. For people unsure of their sexuality, I think this is a very positive thing as it provides a safe place for people to learn more about their sexual identity.

Vickery’s article brought up some important points about girls and blogging. I like that Vickery compared blogs and zines on page 187, and agree that the two are very similar because of the fact that do allow girls to be represented in different ways. With Liz’s example on page 196, it becomes very evident that blogging can be more than just dumping words on to the internet. It can also mean a safe, cathartic place that many girls might not otherwise have. Socially and culturally, blogging communities can have a huge impact on girls. Obviously, they provide a place for likeminded individuals to interact, but beyond that, they provide a place that is much more free of judgment than their real lives. I think a lot of times girls feel like they can express their true selves on blogs or amongst community members because they feel like they can let their true identity show. I personally love blogs, and follow quite a few of them. I’m actually about to start my own personal blog about the traveling I’m planning on doing after graduating. To me, blogs are such a wonderful way to learn more about other people and by extension, yourself. I think a lot of times they can be inspiring and insightful in a way a lot of other websites can’t because of the fact that they’re so personal. I certainly feel like my identity is affected by the blogs and articles I read on the internet, just as many girls are shaped by the fan fiction or blog communities they’re a part of.

I thought the Girl Scouts Social Networking Guide was really interesting as well. For my service-learning project, I am writing a blog and discuss social networking so it was really interesting for me to see such explicit guides. I think its great that girls are being taught how to approach social networking safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment