Saturday, March 19, 2011

Danger Danger!

While I first began reading Katie's story, I was absorbed into the book right away. But as the events started to unfold, I was disheartened by the lack of support her mother and stepfather expressed to her; along with her swim coach and her teammates - the whole lot of them sickened me. Having a young daughter myself, I could never imagine treating her with such disregard as they did to Katie - especially during one of the most traumatic events in her young life. I was surprised to read her mother's first response to her stepfather was that "SHE was mortified" and I was even more surprised that she continued the next day at Katie's swim meet as if it was all Katie's fault. I was also shocked at the reaction of the coach as well. The idea they were discussing Katie's "incident" and the effect it will have on the swim team was appalling! It is evident that much of Katie's insecurities and lack of confidence was a direct result from the yearning of attention she so desired from her mother. Honestly as far as the "purpose" of this book - I am not really sure what it is. A part of me believes the purpose of it
is for parents (especially moms) to read the book as a reinforcement that daughters NEED attention from their mothers. I also believe it serves as a warning for young girls to be aware of the dangers that can evolve when meeting "strangers" online - but moreover I believe the message is too parents. I believe more parents than young girls would find this book useful.

Also, as in the article by Lynne Edwards - Katie story captures a "certain image" (framing)...."a top student, a national ranked swimmer from a affluent Connecticut town" - Although in Katie's story - it is Katie that tells her story - which is usually not the case as stated in Lynne Edwards article - usually the victim's voice is not heard.

Overall I believe as Cassell/Cramer states.."..teens are also at risk in the mall, walking home from school and spending time with a distant relative...etc." - however if one over exaggerated fear saves even one child from a predator than the over-exaggerated fears are certainly worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment