Monday, February 14, 2011

Just a girl in a Large Digital World

Ever since I could remember technology has always been a part of my life, although I don’t consider 19 years of life many, a big chunk of it has been influenced by my father. At the age of eight, within the confines of my father’s small Miami apartment, I was introduced to what we know as instant messaging. As I blissfully communicated with my mother back and forth via computer, I became fascinated with digital technology. A lot of my understanding and appreciation for the computer and technology is because my dad’s occupation has everything and anything to do with computers. So a lot of my knowledge is thanks to him.
Since that one time introduction to digital communication, I wanted more to do with the digital aspects of life. However, my mother was very restrictive and set limitations on everything we (my sister and I) sister did on the computer. About a year from then after we moved to Virginia, we were each given an account on AOL, and introduced to e-mail and I was reunited with instant messaging, or specifically aim. I was able to keep in touch with old friends who I had missed dearly from multiple times of moving from one place to another. It felt amazing to be able to quickly communicate with someone long-distance, without having to dial a telephone number. Around the same time my father began to bring stuff home from work, such as DVDs, various CD’s, and other technological goodies that I and my sister could enjoy on the computer, that didn’t involve the internet. We were exposed to many things including illegally downloaded stuff we were not aware of. It was a whole new world that we had to begin to learn about, including the wrongs and rights, but it wasn’t long till we were aware of most of it.
As I got older, more specifically when I entered middle school, students were required to become more involved with the digital devices the world started dishing out. Computer and typing classes were in demand and useful to everyone. I remember in 6th grade I took a computer typing class, where I was educated on how to properly type and where my hands should be placed and what fingers should touch what keys. I began to type more efficiently and faster, which helped me for papers and assignments that were dispersed often and needed to be completed on the computer. In addition to typing I was also acquainted with Microsoft Office programs, particularly Word and PowerPoint since these were overly used within school. I was finally becoming digitally literate, and it made me proud and confident.
In 2003 my family moved to Melbourne, Fl, my current residence and what I consider to be my home. Melbourne is where I entered my teenage years, ages twelve to my present age of nineteen, also recognized by me as a critical time for a person and technology. I entered the seventh grade when I first moved to Melbourne, and had no friends. I quickly learned what was accepted and popular with the kids here and wanted to be more like them. Within the digital facet of this time of my life websites such as neopets and xanga were “the thing” and very popular. I begged my mother over and over again to give me permission to be involved with these web places, only to often be rejected because of her strict limitations. Throughout school my sister and I were put under parental control restrictions, which in my opinion did us no good. I was never able to truly enjoy the popular aspects of Myspace and shortly after FaceBook as a high school student. This angered me and I felt socially awkward and so out of the loop with everyone, it didn’t help that I was a naturally shy person.
Nevertheless I made it through high school and graduated. I finally got my own laptop for college and was allowed to be involved in many social networks. However, not too long ago was I finally cut of most to all restrictions my mother set, and got to engage in one of my favorite digital aspects, the webcam. I came across skype and oovoo and fell in love with video messaging my best friends and family when I am away at college, in Orlando. Technology and digital literacy have really defined me and have become a big part of who I am.
My father may have introduced me to the digital world, but school and society have shaped my views on it, and my mother has mad e me aware of the dangers it involves. My interest and involvement as a digital literate person has been a big part of my future plans. I hope to become a successful journalist and surround myself with what not only the internet and media exposes but whatever the world has next to offer in technology.



word count: 826

No comments:

Post a Comment