Sunday, February 20, 2011

Identity and IM

The readings this week (s) were very interesting to me, especially since this whole world of IM is new to me. The only two abbreviations that I am familiar with are LOL and OMG....(and variations of OMG - wink wink) - But I really have been so naive to the whole of texting, IM'ing and teen girls. (I better get on the ball since I have a small child - a girl) The whole identity aspect of it was extremely interesting to me as well. Navigating through the internet, I would image it is so much easier to be one way online, than how someone would be in person. I would image the bully's would be less bullish, if they had to bully face to face rather than the protection of a computer screen.

2 comments:

  1. This is funny because while reading the text I was thinking about MY mom and how we've had to teach her how to send emails, how to text, etc. I remember the first time I sent her e a heart "<3" and she goes "I don't know what that is, but same to you" haha. She's so funny. She's come a long way though and uses "lol" and "lmao" very frequently, practice probably helps out a bit. I'm sssuming you'll learn quite a bit from your daughter when she's older!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to actually ask my friend what <3 meant too when I received it from a (much younger) friend of mine. ha ha .....or should I really say...LOL.....I still feel funny typing LOL.....I still prefer...ha ha ha..... ;)

    ReplyDelete