Monday, February 14, 2011

History of My Digital Literacy

The main way I became exposed to computer technology was in elementary school. In first grade, I was required to take part in typing exercises and in playing Oregon Trail. Computer Class was a mandatory elective from the time in was in first grade until I left military schools in the 6th grade. I am not sure if it was normal for elementary schools to require computer classes in general or if this is was something related to military schools. Although it was in the school system that I learned typing and computer basics, I believe it was at home that I learned how to use the Internet to socialize or produce materials that I could display on the Internet.

In 1997 a friend of my mother created a website for me. Although she managed the html coding for me, I chose the content that would go on the site. Each page had games, website awards or a description of the things I liked. The Spice Girls, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Rugrats, and whales are examples of some things featured on different pages. One thing that I found interesting when exploring this site again was the About Me page. On this page, I explain the reason for this page was that I thought the visitors might like to know some things about me. However, on this page I explain that if they got bored they should feel free to move on to other parts of the sites like the games. I think that this statement really reflects the amount of low confidence I had has a young girl, especially with building websites. I think a part of me thought that as a young girl I could not produce anything of interest to a mass amount of people. Although I participated in many website contests I was always sure that mine would not win. Even though my mother encouraged me to keep up with this website I eventually lost interest in it.

Shortly after I stopped working on my web page, I started exploring GURL.com. This site is for young girls. It has a Q&A section, quizzes, articles and games. On these features, it addresses health, beauty, and dating issues that are relevant to girls. A lot of the reason I enjoyed this site was because I could talk to girls all over the United States. I actually made friends with a girl who was three years older than I was and we talked for several years on and off the site. It was on this site that I became aware how easy the Internet has made it to connect with people that are miles away.

During the same time that I was exploring GURL, my older siblings started chatting on a server called The Palace. This site was different from many of the chat rooms of the time. Most chat rooms consist of text flowing down the page. On this site, you were able to choose how you looked using avatars. You could move these avatars around which made it easier to see when exactly someone was talking to you. Even though I was far too young to be on this site, I would lie about my age because I thought the avatars were cool and because I wanted to converse with people that were older than I was. Eventually, I would go on to making my own “dolls” and this is why I started getting into web design again.

When my mother realized that I was trying to build a website on my own she helped me get started using a geocities account instead of an AOL account. She also showed me the website lisaexplainsitall.com. There are tutorials on the site explain basic and some advanced html and coding associated with building websites. When I started learning html and graphic design on my own I was thirteen years old. By the time I was fifteen, I had several sites that displayed graphics and layouts I had made for people to use. I also had learned to code layouts for livejournal. My main interest was still making doll avatars even though I did not use The Palace chat system anymore.

From learning how to make doll avatars, I made friends with a girl named Michelle who lives in Illinois. Her and I taught each other many things about building websites and making graphics. We also explored new music’s together and often recommended DIY clothing projects to each other. It was during this time that I no long used the Internet as a source of entertainment or for producing graphic content. By now, I was blogging and to this day, I am still what as known as a “life blogger”. This means that although I will occasionally blog about current events I usually write posts that consist of commentary on what is going on in my life and how I have been feeling.

I think that overall my digital literacy became fairly advanced at a relatively fast pace. I have learned how to use many different programs. I have used many of the social networking and blogging sites available on the Internet. Overall, I believe that it is because I started learning about computers and the Internet at such a young age that I now feel very comfortable learning when learning new things. When I am involved with activist organizations, I am always willing to help create and maintain online content. In addition, I use social networking to keep in touch with many friends and family members.

No comments:

Post a Comment